U.S. special envoy Jared Kushner issued a firm ultimatum to the militant group Hamas on Monday, emphasizing that it must honor its pledges to disarm in the Gaza Strip. Should Hamas fail to comply, it faces the prospect of an Israeli military operation to "finish the job," with strong U.S. support. This warning comes amidst ongoing Israeli airstrikes and territorial seizures in Gaza, even after an October ceasefire, while Hamas has continued to refuse to relinquish its weaponry.
Kushner's diplomatic efforts included a meeting in Cairo with Hamas representatives, alongside the National Committee, which represents the new technocratic Palestinian government poised to assume control. During this discussion, Kushner stated that Hamas reaffirmed its commitment to the Trump administration's 20-point peace initiative and a specific "15-point roadmap" that had been under development for the past four months. This roadmap includes a key commitment from Hamas to surrender its weapons.
"Time will tell whether that's going to be implemented," Kushner remarked, adding that Washington believes it is "very close to knowing" the group's true intentions and is making significant strides toward the next phase of the process.
He further elaborated on the consequences for the militant organization: "If they don't follow through now on their commitment, everyone will see that they're not genuine about peace, and then Israel will have a lot more support from the U.S. and others to go and finish the job in the appropriate way."
This stern warning, delivered by the former President's son-in-law, marked only the second known face-to-face encounter Kushner has had with the group.
Acknowledging the inherent difficulties in such negotiations, Kushner stated, "They said all the right things, but obviously, it's very, very hard to trust, you know, a terrorist organization that committed these terrible atrocities." Despite this, he described the meeting as "very cordial," reiterating that Hamas "said all the right things." He added, "we're going to give them a chance to perform. It's going to have to be based on actions and steps, and I hope it will be true."
The Framework for Peace
The "Board of Peace" proposal, spearheaded by the U.S., outlines a multi-stage approach. Its core components include a phased ceasefire, the demilitarization of the Gaza Strip, the withdrawal of Israeli troops, the establishment of technocratic Palestinian governance, and comprehensive international reconstruction efforts for the territory.
Following his engagements in Cairo, Kushner traveled to Jerusalem and Tel Aviv on Monday for further discussions with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. A central point of contention in these talks revolved around the precise timeline for implementing the peace roadmap.
Israel's stance demands complete demilitarization before it will proceed with further troop withdrawals or permit reconstruction to commence. Conversely, Hamas maintains that both withdrawal and disarmament must occur simultaneously. Prime Minister Netanyahu, facing considerable political pressure ahead of Israel's upcoming elections, appears to be exercising caution regarding any phased compromises.
Despite the existing friction, Kushner conveyed a sense of optimism after his four-hour session with Israeli officials. "I think today we had a very, very good meeting," he commented. "I think there were some valid concerns that they raised that we were able to address, and we were able to go through some of the misunderstandings and misinformation that's been out about it as well."
Reconstruction Tied to Demilitarization
Kushner underscored that Washington's commitment to supporting Gaza's reconstruction is inextricably linked to its demilitarization. "We will not allow Gaza to be rebuilt until demilitarization occurs," he firmly warned. He also clarified that the U.S. would not impede "Israel's right to defend itself if there are any imminent threats," explaining, "And so we had to clarify what that means."
Providing a clear timeline, Kushner stressed the urgent need for Hamas to relinquish its weapons. He indicated potential progress "in as much as in as little as 30 days" for the initial removal of some weapons, with tunnels hopefully being filled in over the "next 60 to 90 days."
He presented this scenario as a significant gain for Israel: "For Israel, we think this is a win-win situation because if Hamas actually gives over the weapons and the tunnels willingly over the next 60 to 90 days, that obviously would be the elimination of a huge security threat for Israel, almost an unthinkable achievement."
Conflict Background and Future Outlook
The enduring conflict, ignited by Hamas's October 7, 2023, terrorist assault that resulted in nearly 1,200 fatalities in southern Israel and the abduction of over 240 individuals, has persisted for almost three years.
"Israel has a strong desire to live in peace," Kushner told the interviewer. He noted the profound impact of "three years of war," describing it as "very, very hard for the country, very hard for the people." He observed "a lot of emotion in Israel and in the region."
Reflecting on his regional travels, Kushner stated, "I do think people are tired of war. I think they're ready for something new." However, he acknowledged the challenge: "But it's just sometimes hard. You know, who's going to take the first step, and how do you build trust when there's so little trust that's now been eroded?"
Kushner also voiced confidence in former President Trump's capacity to facilitate a lasting agreement. "We see a lot of positive indications, and President Trump has pulled off miracles before in the Middle East," Kushner asserted. "He's very committed to continuing to do things that nobody thinks are possible."



